If you want to have protruding abdominals and swollen arms, an interval training can help you achieve this – especially if opt for some workouts with weights. If there is a magic formula to lose weight, HIIT workouts are surely the closest thing!If your aerobic exercises at low intensity like running, cycling … do not work to lose weight, you can try to move on to a HIIT workout.
HIIT Exercises for Weight Loss
HIIT exercises allow you to lose weight and improve performance through short exercise sessions that involve going from a difficult exercise to an easier one and from a slow exercise to a quick exercise. An HIIT session includes a warm-up interval, followed by several short series performed at a maximum intensity interspersed with moderate intensity intervals, and finally a last recovery interval at the end of the session.
Studies have shown that this method is more effective at burning fat and keeping your muscle mass than long workouts with lower intensity exercises. Some studies indicate that HIIT exercises burn 9x more fat than traditional cardiovascular exercises .HIIT exercises burn a lot of calories during a workout but the difference with traditional cardiovascular exercises like running is at the level of your metabolism which keeps a high level for more than 24 hours after the end of the workout, exercise ! This means that you continue to burn calories after you finish your workout. No need to use calorie calculators. It is difficult to calculate your calorie intake during HIIT training, because many of the effects of your HIIT training will not occur during the session, but during the hours that follow. HIIT exercises not only promote weight loss by burning calories, but also act through a complex set of physiological mechanisms (eg, nervous and endocrine systems) to reduce resistance to insulin, improve glucose tolerance, increase fat oxidation after exercise and therefore weight loss, and decrease appetite.
Researchers at an Australian university have shown that people who pedaled for 40 minutes at a steady pace had lost an average of one kilo. A second group pedaled for only 20 minutes, but alternated cycles of 8 seconds of sprints and 12 seconds at a slower pace. They lost an average of two kilos five hundred.
However, if you can only do a short HIIT workout before being exhausted, it may be that your body is more suitable for a cardio workout at a moderate intensity but for a period of time.
The Benefits of HIIT Exercises to Lose Weight Quickly
- Burns more calories
- High metabolism AFTER the end of training
- Increases fat burning during and after training
- Shorter workouts
- Increases power
- Increases speed
- Improves your endurance
- Decreases appetite
High Intensity Interval Training: How?
The key to an HIIT workout is that it does not allow your body to get accustomed to what you are doing, namely changing pace and pushing yourself into your entrenchments at each interval. Whatever your fitness goals and weight loss, an HIIT workout can turn out to be one of the best methods to help you achieve them.HIIT exercises are an excellent choice for those who get tired easily and already have a good physical level or for those who have reached a plateau and can no longer lose fat .
The variations of HIIT drives are endless. You can adjust the parameters of your workout (such as the ratio between exercise and rest, number of intervals, etc.) to make your sessions more difficult or easier. In general, longer intervals give better results. The four parameters that you can manipulate when creating your program at intervals are:
- Intensity (ie speed) of the interval
- Duration (distance or time) of the interval
- Rest Time / Recovery Interval
- Number of repetitions of each interval
You can also use any type of exercise for your workout, including biking, sprinting, cardio machines (stationary bike, cross-trainer, treadmill, staircase, elliptical trainer), doing hula- hoop or jump rope.
Tips for Successful HIIT Training and Optimized Weight Loss
- Warm up before you start.
- Evaluate your fitness and set training goals to match your abilities.
- Start slowly (for example, walk 2 minutes / run 2 minutes).
- Keep a steady, high pace throughout the interval.
- Increase the number of repetitions as you go.
- Increase your heart rate until you reach 100 to 110 beats per minute during your rest intervals.
- To improve yourself, increase the intensity or duration, but not both at the same time.
- Make changes over a long period of time.
- Run on track for training at intervals.
- HIIT training should last 12 to 20 minutes (not including warm-up and recovery time at the end of the session).
- If you have heart rate monitor – use it.
- As before starting any exercise program, consult your doctor before starting your workout.
An HIIT workout is an intense and demanding session. If you have a sedentary lifestyle and are not very athletic, it is best that you start with a less intense type of workout to lose weight.